Get all the latest on Europe’s biggest names. There’s less than a week left of the transfer window but we can’t help but feel the best is yet to come.
Ferran Torres’ switch to Barcelona remains the only blockbuster so far but Anthony Martial’s loan to Sevilla has threatened to kick-start a late window domino effect.
Newcastle have spent big while Aston Villa have signed smartly but the biggest clubs in England and on the continent have largely shied away from major deals.
There’s been nothing incoming at Manchester United despite Ralf Rangnick taking the reins while Premier League leaders Manchester City are still yet to sign a Sergio Aguero replacement.
But it’s all delicately balanced and if one piece is taken out of place then the Jenga tower might tumble in the final days of the window.
Record Sport have taken a look at a few of the major players who are being eyed for mega-money deals all over Europe.
He’s rarely been a stranger from the transfer headlines and this January is no different for Dembele.
The Frenchman appears to have taken matters into his own hands this month with reports in Spain claiming he wants to stay at Barcelona – and has demanded a meeting with president Joan Laporta.
However if things don’t go smoothly then there is no shortage of clubs willing to take him.
Chelsea have been linked recently while a reunion with Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool would be the stuff of dreams – even if it is fanciful.
However it’s PSG raising the alarms recently as Dembele’s agent Moussa Sissoko was spotted landing in Barcelona for crunch talks with the La Liga side – while screening a call from PSG transfer chief Leonardo.
El AGENTE DE DEMBELÉ recibió la llamada de “LEONARDO PSG” nada más llegar a Barcelona. ¿Se va a París? pic.twitter.com/fJ7lZ2Sdqw
— El Chiringuito TV (@elchiringuitotv) January 26, 2022
It’s far from conclusive but it will only fuel the fire.
Borussia Dortmund’s chances of landing a mega fee for Haaland are hanging by a thread as his €75m (£63m) release clause becomes active in the summer.
So far the German side have been reluctant to budge and it seems they would prefer to keep him for another six months, even if it does mean losing him for a fraction of the fee later this year.
Manchester City do need a striker with only Gabriel Jesus available – and even he is unfancied by Pep Guardiola.
However recent headlines claiming the Etihad side are “close” to a deal seem to come from a tweet from club legend Shaun Goater, rather than a reliable transfer source.
Rivals Manchester United are keen, as are Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich and it remains to be seen if any will table an offer this month.
But if one moves now then the chess game will likely begin with none willing to lose out altogether on the firing Norwegian.
PSG’s hopes of holding onto talisman Mbappe look slim-to-none now as the France hitman enters the final six months on his contract.
He was publicly furious with the club in the summer after his move to Real Madrid dramatically collapsed but now he can take his pick of Europe’s elite. Liverpool have been linked recently but his stratospheric wages make a move to Los Blancos more likely.
In any case FIFA chief Arsene Wenger knows the situation is getting untenable for the Parisian side – feeling they may have missed a trick by not selling him for a huge fee when they had the chance.
“Time is against PSG,” he told Canal +. “In my experience, when you try to renew a player then the longer it takes the more difficult it becomes.
“I’ve been waiting a year and a half for PSG to manage to renew Mbappe. He is the most indispensable player in PSG’s way of playing.
“But, there is little time left and today the footballer is free to sign wherever he wants. PSG were in a situation where they had a firm offer from Real Madrid. When you reject €180million, even for PSG it still is a huge sum.
“So, when they refused this money, they either said to themselves ‘We need to have a great season, as we have [Lionel] Messi and we can’t afford to lose Mbappe’ or they thought ‘we will manage to convince him to stay’.”
The Porto winger has attracted plenty of glances from the Premier League and Liverpool were said to be looking at him to cover their AFCON absentees.
But the Reds have powered through without Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah and now look as if they are prepared to wait on them returning.
Tottenham looked set to pounce on that as Antonio Conte goes on the hunt for a new wide-man and it was reported they had an offer of £38m accepted.
Now however Portuguese outlet Record say he does now see does not see Spurs as a significant enough step up from his current club and would rather wait for an approach from an ‘elite’ side.
Manchester United have been linked in the past and might now be the winger’s last resort.
Latest transfer news on Eden Hazard
As per Marca, Eden Hazard wants to stay at the club till the summer. The Belgian has reportedly made his stance clear even though Real Madrid wants to see him leave in January.
Former manager Zinedine Zidane wanted to bring Hazard to Madrid. Owing to this, Real Madrid paid Chelsea £89 million in transfer fees to sign Eden Hazard in 2019. But the transfer has been a major flop for both the club and the player.
Frequent injuries have made sure that Eden Hazard did not even get a chance to replicate the magic from his Chelsea days. The Belgian has just played 59 games and has scored 5 goals since joining the Spanish giants in 2019.
The appointment of Carlo Ancelotti as the manager has restricted Eden Hazard even further. The Italian prefers to start Vinicius over Hazard on the left wing. And given the Brazilian’s form, Ancelotti would not even consider benching Vinicius for now.
Owing to this, Eden Hazard has just made 13 LaLiga appearances. In these, only 6 were in the starting XI. The Belgian has also failed to score a single goal in LaLiga this season.
The Belgian was part of the Supercopa de Espana squad that won recently. But he didn’t get to play a single minute in the campaign. Hazard was visibly sad while receiving the medals and was hardly seen celebrating with the squad.
There are no suitors for Hazard currently
Real Madrid Transfer News: As per reports, Eden Hazard does not want to unsettle his family in January with sudden plans to move. Hence he wants to wait until the summer so that he can plan and decide in the meantime. Also, Hazard is employed with Real Madrid until 2024 hence there won’t be much change in his transfer value if he waits another six months.
Chelsea and Newcastle United were reportedly interested a couple of months back. But both the clubs have shifted their focus for now. Hence it looks likely that Eden Hazard will have another 6 months ahead of him in Spain.